Friday, September 7, 2012

Nonconformity, education and life

I didn't used to think of myself as a nonconformist.  Growing up, I followed the rules, almost to a fault.  While I had a bit of a stubborn/rebellious streak where homework was concerned, I graduated high school with high enough grades to get into the college of my choice.  It was only when my own children had begun school that my antipathy for homework, mixed with a dislike of being forced to do things in a way that I disagree with, reared its head.

My nonconformity did not begin with home school, though.  It became evident with the birth of my fourth child.  Just the existence of a fourth child in a family is not typical.  The fact that she was born at home, on purpose, is evidence that conformity is not my ambition in life.  I have since had three more children born at home.

Having been brave in breaking with birth norms, breaking out of the public school system was not as scary as it might have been, but bravery is not about not feeling fear, it is moving forward in spite of it.  Giving birth in an uncommon location caused me very little fear.  One sometimes feels self conscious about doing something unusual, but fear was not a large emotion where my home births are concerned.  If anything, I felt a great deal of relief.  

Taking my children out of the public schools and taking upon myself the responsibility of teaching them everything they need to know to be happy, self sufficient, giving members of society is no small undertaking.  Fortunately, I only need to teach them one day at a time, one hour or one minute or one second at a time.  As with all aspects of parenting, it is a good thing that we need only deal with one second at a time (1, 2, 3...breathe).  

Green, 4 year old size footprints painted on the living room carpet-1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3...breathe.  

Styrofoam bits all over- 1 one thousand, 2... 

Holding my 20 month old through the night while he throws up every 15 minutes for over 5 hours- 18,001, 18,002, 18,003...

It's not about refusing to conform for the sake of not conforming.  It is about using the brains, talents, and inspiration God gives you to make intelligent, inspired choices, even when those choices don't conform with what most people choose to do. 

No comments: