Sunday, December 9, 2012

Singapore Math, Digital learning, & Automated grading

I've been wanting to create a digital version of Singapore's Primary Mathematics US edition to automate grading and even create video tutorials to help streamline the teaching process.  I've been kicking this idea around for awhile, but have been at a loss as to how to implement it.  I know there are products like Teaching Textbooks that already do what I envision, but I like Singapore's curriculum better and it is much less expensive, since I already own all the instructor and textbooks for 1A through 6B.  I also went ahead and purchased all the workbooks for my school age children this year.

Problem: I am not a programmer and hadn't found something where I could just adapt it to my needs (primarily a software program where I tell it to show the student the math problem and I tell it what the answer should be and the student has to type in the correct answer, or the program won't go on to the next question).

Solution: The kids and I started a computer science curriculum, Scratch.  It occurred to me that I could use it to write a simple program that would do the basics of what I wanted.  I could then use Moodle to integrate it into a schedule, combine it with links to Khan Academy for the instruction portion, and voila! I have a somewhat automated computer based math, freeing up some time so I can focus on helping my kids with the concepts with which they struggle.  They also seem more motivated to do their school work when it's on the computer.

Here is a link to my Scratch page and the first projects my high school age son helped me create (He is already a Scratch expert).

No comments: